Wednesday, October 1, 2014

SSR Initial Response

In the article, Good Nutrition Links to Academic Success, Sandra Ford discusses ways to improve school lunch nutrition. Good nutrition is important to me. Because I don’t have much faith in my school district’s school lunch program, I usually pack my kids’ lunches everyday. This article has many good ideas for improving school lunches but I don’t see any of them being implemented in my children’s schools. In general, the foods being offered in the elementary school leave much to be desired. When deciding whether or not to let my son buy school lunch last week I checked the online weekly lunch menu. The food being offered that wee was pizza, hotdog, cheeseburger, corndog, and country fried steak. The side selections were things like “fruit medley” and strawberry craisins. I quickly decided to pack my son’s lunch for the week. I like the idea of offering kinds incentives for eating their vegetables like participating in dance routines or including the study of nutrition in classroom curriculum. I can see how learning about good nutrition as well as the affect of poor nutrition might help students make better choices in the lunchroom.

A few criticisms about this article: The title of the article leads one to believe that it will be discussing the link between good nutrition and academic success. It mainly focuses on what different schools are doing to improve nutrition in their schools but is very vague about the academic benefits. Ford states, “With a growing body of scientific research lining proper nutrition to academic success…” But she never really discusses that research. But she never really discusses that research. This article isn’t very “meaty”. I would like more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment